Sunday, March 28, 2010

Detroit Anteaters Shut Out the Nashville Peckers

The first three periods went something like this:

The ice was bad, and I have to believe that the conditions altered the Wings' game plan. It was often described as a chess match, a waiting game, and it made for a very boring game. There were portions of the game over in the game thread on WIM that were just silent, There wasn't a whole lot to talk about. The goalies made amazing saves when they had to, but that kind of goes without saying, considering it was a 1-0 shoot out win. Obviously, if a game ends like that, the goalies were coming up big when they had to.

The shootout was insane. I didn't really have faith, considering our previous outings in the shoot out, AND the fact that we played last night. I thought the team didn't really stand a chance. When Bertuzzi scored, I hoped with everything I had that that would be the game winner. When Sullivan scored, I lost all hope. Momentum shifted, and I didn't think a tired Wings squad had what it took to come back.

Sometimes, I don't mind being wrong.

The shootout went for about 5 more months, and Babcock was running out of forwards to put out. Either that, or he knew that Kronner's been staying after practices and working on his shootout moves. I don't care which one it was, because he scored on his one and only career shootout attempt. And Yimmy came up with the stop he should have made about 435 shooters before and won the game.

So, in the past week, the Wings beat the Penguins, complete with Yimmy owning Rosby after he went after Zetterberg in the waning moments of the game. They beat their old goalie who had shut them out the last time they played each other. They had a scorgy against Minnesota with some very special audience members in attendance. Then they shut out a team above them in the standings in sub-par ice conditions on a huge game from Yimmy and improbable goals in the shootout.

If I'm any team in the top 8 in the conference, I'm not happy with what I'm seeing coming at me in red and white.

Update: Phoenix took care of Colorado so we at least have 7th place locked up. Dallas is beating LA 4-1 in the third, so it looks like 6th place might be safe, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment